Keeping weight the same...

• Me again, lol. I know I'm asking a lot of questions but isn't that what this is for? Hope it's cool. 

I was just thinking about my previous posts, about how to structure my volume training. For example if I'm lifting 50 lb dumbells and I can only get around 12 reps with 2 reps shy of failure, on my first set (after warm ups). Would it make sense to stay with the same 50 lb dumbells since I'd likely become fatigued over the next 3-4 sets? I think i would naturally lose reps and drop down to 10, and 8 reps. 

I'm wondering if this would be a good way to keep track of progress. This way, I can see that over the weeks, I'm now lifting more reps with the same 50 lbs and gaining strength. Now I can increase it to 55 lbs, and track the progressive overload this way. Would this be a good idea? 

Because if I change the weight too often, how will I know if I'm making gains? It just seems like a good way to track progress. Would love some suggestions on this. Thanks.

• @Charles Sorre I honestly never judged my workouts by strength as much as it really depends on the day..... so to answer... you should do no less than 8 and no more than 12.... so if you fall in that range pretty much like you said, you're in good hands.

• @Jay Cutler so if I understand this right, it seems that the weight is merely a tool to stay in the 8 to 12 rep range for the time under tension.

The weight itself then I guess, is meaningless, since the focus is on whatever weight gives me the 8 to 12 rep range, set after set? If I need to lower the weight, then so be it...doesn't matter. 

Is this pretty much the jist of it? lol. I'm so used to tracking the weight, so this is a bit of a different way of thinking for me. I appreciate the insight, thanks Jay.

• @Charles Sorre I think you're right on point bro. Remember the MUSCLE doesn't understand how much the way it is it's all time under tension in every workout is going to be different depending on what your energy and or sleep, focus is.