Kidneys

• I have a problem that it seems like nobody wants to talk about.  My doctor (Kaiser permanente doctor) tells me every time I have my blood work done that I'm supposed to eat less protein, that I'm supposed to work out less(huh?!?!!) and creatine supplementation is not good.  
    According to him, high protein diet puts lots of stress on kidneys and weight training makes muscles produce creatinine which is a waste product that needs to be cleared out by the kidneys.  Now, I eat 3 balanced meals a day and I drink a protein shake (1 scoop of iso protein in almond milk). So not a crazy protein intake.  I take 2 grams of creatine (it's in the pre workout I take) per day.  
    can you please explain how can you take 1.5 g of protein per pound of lean mass and do volume workouts without killing the kidneys? Is there something wrong with me or this doctor is messing with my head?

• This is not medical advice but it depends on what numbers he is looking at, What are your BUN and Creatine numbers? I would go off that. If your Creatine numbers is high I would take it easy on the protein because your kidneys definitely cant handle it but If you BUN is slightly high thats not too much of a concern, if you eat high protien diet your BUN tends to be slightly higher but research shows it doesn't affect kidney function in the long run.

• bro people have been telling me for years protein powder is bad. I've used it since my teens, i'm 38 now and perfect health. Sugars the real killer in the world. Its a virus they put thst shit next to every check out, or fast food. I'm not an expert, but i feel the best on high protein diet. Also i've used creatine my whole life no problems except it will dehydrate you if you don't drink enough water. Pound that H20 💪🏼⚡️

• I have the same problem as you, so what my doctor said to me was cut out the creatine and start drinking 8 glasses water per day. I still run slightly above the norm but to high. I did cut my protein back from 1.5 to 1 and that did help.

• It comes down to ur scores.... I persoally would not be afraid to eat protein if my  ranges are normal..... is there an issue with ur kidneys?

• Great post!   very informative

FuZ

• Layne Norton PhD in nutritional sciences, studied protein synthesis,  knows more than medical doctors when it comes to this topic, especially since he's also a powerlifter and bodybuiler.

Here are a couple of videos from him talking about kidney's and protein. Hope this helps:

https://youtu.be/fYCd_SwbTFI

https://youtu.be/op1K0z1DHB8

• I was born with one Kidney and did. Or know until late teens. As the poster above mentioned, it depends on your scores. My creatinine levels look a little high at 1.4, however they have been steady for over 10 years. When talking with a Nephrologist about it, he said, as long as it's not going up I should be fine. I eat around 200g+ protein a day and take 5g creatine. There have been no changes as I said for 10 years. So see what your levels are and proceed accordingly. Maybe work with another doctor or if you are truly concerned, meet with a nephrologist who specializes in Kidneys. It sure helped alleviate any fears from me. Then just continue paying attention to your blood work.

• @John Carra awesome advice!!!

• Just following up here to see if there's any progress. Guys thank you so much for your input it means so much to our members thank you very very very much thanks

J